Monday, January 21, 2008

Max


Mark's dad called today. They had to put my buddy Max to sleep. He had been up and down for awhile now. I guess I should have seen it coming, right? Of course not. I cried. Not for a long time, but in one short burst of emotion. It was as if a dam had been broken, my tears didn't have any other choice but to fall.

My bond with Max started mainly because I tend to side with the underdog. He shared a home with a younger, rambunctious, yellow lab named Rockie. Max definitely was the "underdog". I would play the protector and stand in between the two dogs whenever I felt danger was eminent. Danger equals Rockie's tail and/or body. I probably would have built a shield to protect him if I could have.

I related to Max because I know what it's like to be the little guy. The one that isn't quite as strong as everyone else. The one that has to rely on humor and silly antics to get noticed. Do I sound like a crazy? Comparing myself to a dog? Perhaps. But...


I think losing something or someone close to you would make just about anyone a little crazy.

2 comments:

Netherfieldmom said...

So sorry for your loss. Pets make us better people.

Tracy said...

Great writing! I always love the way you write. Keep it up... it's been how many days? I keep checking and nothing new :(